Allen J. Finkelson Scholarship
Application available for Allen J. Finkelson Scholarship
Pompano Beach, FL - Steven Wolf, president of the Florida Chapter of the United States Harness Racing Writers Association (USHWA), has announced that the chapter is now accepting applications for its 2021 Allen J. Finkelson Scholarship Awards.
The scholarship fund was established in memory of Hall of Famer Allen J. Finkelson, the former Vice President of Public Relations at Pompano Park and longtime Chairman of the Board of the national USHWA organization.
“While our Florida Chapter was hesitant at first due to the pandemic that canceled our annual fundraising Florida Harness Racing Hall of Fame banquet,” said Steve Wolf, “we still felt we needed to continue our scholarship program, which is important for our young people to help them with the costs of tuition.”
This year there are two sponsors of the scholarships. They are Maggie LeClair and Jay Farrar and Kathleen and Thomas H. Hicks.
Preference for these scholarship awards will be given to:
- Students majoring in the following programs:
- Veterinarian/Equine-related studies
- Applicants must be a resident of the state of Florida and currently accepted or enrolled in a fully accredited college or university in the United States.
- Criteria for selection include community service, academic achievement, and leadership.
- Applicants must be Florida residents and have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
- Applicants must show evidence of community service and leadership through certificates, awards, and/or letters of commendation.
Fully completed applications must be postmarked no later than July 1, 2021, for consideration of an August 2021 award.
Recipients may reapply annually for a maximum of four years.
Applications should be submitted/addressed to:
3508 Sahara Springs Blvd.
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
For more information please visit the website or email either contacts: